This post is also available in: Español
The rules for the championship 2020 is under revision. They will be announced shortly.
The rules below were used for the 2018 championship.
The WADF Rueda de Casino World Championship 2018 will have one* category: Rueda de Casino 4-8 couples.
Rueda de Casino competition format
- Each team consists of couples dancing together in a circle. Other structures may be used during the dance, although never exceed 50% of dancing time.
- The first rounds of the competition will be held 2 o´clock and finals 8 o´clock Friday Sep 4.
- In the first rounds, 1-2 teams may perform at the same time. The teams will dance rueda de casino with calling of commands.
- Elements of choreography will have negative impact on the judging in the first rounds.
- In the finals, each team will perform individually, and choreography will not have a negative impact on the judging.
- The dance presentation in the first rounds should not be easily recognized as the same content as prepared for the presentation in the finals.
- 4-6 teams will advance from the first rounds to the finals, depending on the number of participating teams.
The music will be handled differently in the first round and in the finals:
- The organiser will provide the music. Each team will perform 2 min 30 sec minutes in the first rounds.
- The song will be one of 6 alternative songs that will be published 1 day before the Championship.
- The tempo of the music will be approximately 180-200 beats per minute. (Music used in previous championship, for reference.)
- Pre-recorded music of the dancers own choice must be sendt electronically to the organizers e-mail no later than one week before the event.
- Selected music for the finals must be beetween 2:50 and 3:10 minutes.
- Typical Salsa/Timba music should be used for the finals. No restrictions regarding tempo of the music.
Costumes and props
Dresses are of the dancers own choice. Props may not be used, except for hand-props like gloves, hats, canes and similar.
The judges will use 2 sets of marks for each team, one for artistic merit and one for technical merit.
Examples of what the judges will reward:
- good coordination between the team members, musicality, rhythm and breaks, how the team uses the floor available, whether the team keeps the formation in good order with clear and even distance between the team members, creative figures, partner changes and choreography.
- Lifts and acrobatics are allowed but should not dominate the performance and will only enhance the judges’ score if danced in harmony with the music and performed with good control.
- The impact of each team member’s technique is important, but the teams will be judged as a whole.
*) If a sufficient amount of teams sign up and the number of couples allows, the teams will be divided into more categories (small rueda / large rueda) and the categories may be extended to include Rueda de Casino with 3 couples. If this occurs, it will be announced immediately, and enrolled team contacts will be notified by email.
Subject to adjustments